The carbon mitigation solution by impactChoice provides an excellent approach for the compensation of the negative environmental impacts. Carbon mitigation works by apportioning the environmental impact offsetting mechanisms as well as costs to the predetermined business metrics. The business metrics are linked directly with products, service delivery, and the cost of sales models. The mitigation efforts are factored in the final price to the consumers.
Application in the hotel industry
Reports by STR Global show that there are between 13.4 and 17.5 million hotel rooms worldwide and they keep increasing. With a conversion rate of about 50 percent, there is an excess of 2.4 billion room nights sold annually. Therefore, there is a significant opportunity for carbon mitigation. By offsetting the environmental effect of the room nights, the hotels and the guests benefit.
For this, it is necessary to conduct the accredited GHG emissions audit based on the Hotel Carbon Management Initiative (HCMI). The HCMI is developed by the International Tourism Partnership, ITP as well as WTTC, the World Travel & Tourism Council.
Natural Asset Transfers
In the Natural Asset Capital market, the systems seek to strike a balance between the available and the transferred value of natural assets.
Processing of transactions
For the implementation of the environmental impact mitigation solution, impactChoice transfers emission mitigation Carbon Asser from the native Carbon Asset Source Wallet address on to the guest’s wallet address. Doing this provides irrefutable proof of the environmental impact mitigation.
The confirmation of the completion of the transaction is through the use of a multi-lingual and a template-driven email which allows for customization of the content and the messaging. The customization is in accordance with the needs of the client hotels. The system ensures the creation of an environmental touch-point with the guests in their own language and post checkout.
All the transactions result in the generation of a public summary page with information relating to the asset transfers.
The clients and the asset recipients get to share the public summary pages through social media platforms like Twitter, LinkedIn, and Facebook. Social sharing helps raise the social standing of the clients and the asset recipients in relation to your environmental sustainability stewardship.
Even though hotels make changes to their internal processes, technology, behaviors, and facilities, to reduce emissions, the associated efficiency gains can only go so far. This is because there will always be an emissions footprint associated with operations regardless of the efficiency of the processes or the technologies you use.
Also, there are many other essential processes and technologies which exist, and they are very cost-prohibitive to change. As a result, there will be a need for cost mitigation because the hotel will have residual emissions footprint.
Benefits of Carbon Mitigation for Hotels
Environmental/ Technical Benefits
- It provides a long-term environmental sustainability strategy which leads to the immediate reduction in emissions
- There is a credible and a tangible Carbon Asset management program based and built on the blockchain platform and the distributed ledger technology.
- Development of an energy management system that enables energy usage monitoring and optimization allowing for continued identification of power consumption and reduction opportunities. The management system also allowed for billing verification.
- It gives you access to an ISO 14001 Complaint Environment management system that is under development.
- It leads to marketing and the sale of climate-neutral guest experience.
- Since it comes with an annual greenhouse gas emissions inventory audit done according to the GHG Protocol and HCMI, the carbon mitigation system gives input for GRI’s sustainable development reporting and also sustainable tourism certifications.
- Guest and individuals receive tangible Carbon Assets which are irrefutable proofs of the environmental impact mitigation
- It also creates environmental touch points with the guests as the touch points can be leveraged on the social media channels they are shared.
Other than carbon mitigation, the Climate Neutral Fuel, the use of gasification systems, and waste-to-energy strategies ensure that carbon emissions are reduced.
The success of the Natural Asset Exchange Blockchain largely depends on the efforts placed by different parties and partners like hotels for mitigation of the effects of climate change.
Links of interest: